Pursuing a divorce is one of the most life-changing decisions a couple can make. The consequences linger for a lifetime…
Divorce Litigation in Gainesville, VA
Litigated divorce is the most common choice for couples who are unable to settle on the terms of their divorce by any other means. The majority of divorces are unilateral, meaning they are instigated by only one party, while the other wishes to remain in the marriage. This one-sided decision making process has the potential to create an emotionally charged or hostile environment, eliminating any chance of an amicable settlement between both parties. During the litigation proceedings, each party is represented by their own attorney, who presents their side of the case before a judge. Time is needed for the judge to review all materials before rendering a decision, with the potential for a lengthy and often difficult waiting period. Most litigation cases are settled out of court, and the right litigator will work hard to find a sufficient compromise to prevent a trial, though circumstances may dictate otherwise.
Graham Law Firm, PLLC is here to help you navigate the difficult process of divorce litigation. Our experienced, knowledgeable attorneys have helped numerous couples throughout the areas of Gainesville and Northern Virginia to reach favorable settlements using time honored litigation skills. We are sympathetic to the contentious nature of litigated divorce, and will work with you to find a comfortable balance while working towards a mutually satisfactory resolution.
Contact Graham Law Firm today to schedule a divorce litigation in Gainesville, VA.
When Is Divorce Litigation the Right Choice?
While there are a number of divorce options available, the one most suitable for couples who are involved in a unilateral or hostile divorce is litigation. With a skilled litigator representing each party, the goal is to negotiate a satisfactory compromise between the two sides without going to court.
Before entering into divorce litigation there are several factors to consider:
- Financial toll – Evaluate your finances before proceeding, as the length of time involved in the litigation process along, with the associated costs of court and attorneys fees, can quickly add up.
- Emotional toll – Divorce litigation is a highly emotional process which can take a great deal of time to resolve. Having emotional support during this time is crucial to your wellbeing.
If you are willing to invest the time and money, divorce litigation can help you achieve your goals and get you the settlement you deserve. Litigation is highly recommended for couples who are unable to reach an agreement on any or all of the following:
- Child custody
- Child support
- Child visitation
- Duration of alimony
- Amount of alimony
- Debt and/or asset division
Choosing the Right Divorce Litigator
With all the decisions you need to make during this difficult time, choosing the right divorce litigator is paramount. Your decision should be based on a number of important criteria, using information obtained during your initial consultation:
- Attentiveness – Did the attorney listen to you as you discussed your case, and ask relevant questions to gain a better understanding of your situation?
- Professionalism – A professional appearance and demeanor not only instills confidence, but also shows that the attorney will work hard for you.
- Integrity – It is impossible to predict the outcome of your divorce, and the attorney should avoid making elaborate or false promises.
- Skill – Choose an experienced divorce litigator who has the knowledge and skills needed to help you reach your goals in your divorce case.
Schedule a Divorce Litigation Consultation in Gainesville, VA
The team of family law professionals at Graham Law Firm is here to answer any questions you may have about divorce litigation, to help you make the right decision about your divorce. Client wellbeing and satisfaction is our number one priority, and we will utilize our skills and resources to take the necessary steps to resolve your settlement in a manner that is mutually satisfactory.
Contact Graham Law Firm today for a divorce litigation consultation in Gainesville or greater Northern Virginia.